Feb 01, 2021
Economic Development Curated Job
Mesquite, TX, USA
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
The Director of Economic Development creates and fully executes a comprehensive economic development strategy that targets, aggressively pursues, and successfully attracts or retains a diverse range of businesses that support the economic health of the community.
General supervision is provided by the City Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- All behaviors comply with the Code of Conduct and Rules of Behavior outlined in chapter 8 of the General Government Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Assume management responsibility for all services and activities of the Economic Development Department.
- Manage and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for the economic development program; recommend new and existing business development, retention, and expansion strategies for the City; recommend and administer economic development policies and procedures.
- Effectively negotiate with targeted businesses within adopted economic development, financial impact, legislative, and City Council guidelines and vision.
- Generate and grow professional working relationships with private developers, major land owners, banking and financial leaders, professional/trade associations, state and local governments and economic development leaders, the Mesquite Chamber of Commerce, Mesquite Independent School District, the Mesquite City Council, and city management.
- Develop and implement strategies to retain and expand existing businesses.
- Develop and implement strategies for redevelopment of distressed or aging business centers.
- Develop and implement strategies for development of new commercial and retail centers and residential neighborhoods.
- Maintain inventory of pertinent information and statistics on all aspects of Mesquite; maintain a database of business prospects, available land sites and available buildings. Participate in regional activities to promote Mesquite to the development community and to business prospects.
- Manage and participate in the development and administration of the Economic Development Department budget; direct the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment materials, and supplies; monitor and approve expenditures; and direct and implement adjustments as necessary.
- Manage and participate in the negotiation, analysis and execution of economic development agreements.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with City staff and elected officials.
- Provide administrative and managerial support for Tax Increment Finance Boards, Mesquite Quality of Life Corporation, and other special districts and advisory boards with in the City.
- Oversee and periodically update the City's economic development incentives programs and policies. Prepare regular progress reports for presentation to the City Council and other partner organizations.
- Supervise subordinate Economic Development professional(s).
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in economic development, urban planning, marketing, public administration, business administration or related field.
Ten years of increasingly responsible experience in economic development or equivalent professional experience, including five years at the director/manager or assistant director/manager level.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES
Possession of a valid driver's license.
Possession of a Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) designation or the ability to obtain certification within two (2) years.
Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm, with some evenings as needed
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
This position does not require a physical for employment.
Applicants with disabilities meeting the job requirements and capable of performing the essential functions of the job, either on their own or with reasonable accommodations, are encouraged to apply.