The purpose of the position is to direct all activities and operations of the department. This is accomplished by directing employee functions and tasks; presenting and administering all budget activities; serving as the chief spokesperson and representative of the department; analyzing operations; providing consultation and recommendation to management, elected officials, boards and commissions; and furthering the objectives of management and elected officials. Other duties include establishing and enforcing internal controls and processes.
• Plans and directs department activities by establishing priorities and programs; coordinating project meetings; analyzing and recommending staff and resource levels; and monitoring department operations, staffing and productivity levels.
• Manages all staffing functions by developing and recommending staffing levels; directing and participating in recruiting activities; initiating, monitoring and evaluating performance; coaching and counseling; establishing and reviewing training activities; and initiating disciplinary proceedings.
• Directs departmental financial processes by developing and recommending budget and program costs; responding to financial inquiries; interpreting directives; and ensuring compliance with federal, state and local laws.
• Ensures operation efficiency by configuring and managing resources; participating in strategic planning, technology planning, and results coordination; reviewing and managing responses; and researching and recommending new processes and technologies.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
• Analyzes existing programs and develops long-term economic and marketing strategies for business relations and development, including strategies for domestic and international trade, relations and expansion efforts.
• Manages media relations, literature and social sites for promotional and informational purposes; develops communications strategies; and joint promotion programs.
• Presents information to civic organizations, boards and commissions, and the public as chief negotiator on behalf of the City.
• Develops and manages budgets, special projects, strategic plans and goals, and outside agreements and contracts.
• Develops and manages the incentive process with local and other agencies.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of Texas statutes regarding incentives, tax increment financing and use of municipal hotel occupancy tax
• Knowledge of Type A and Type B agencies
• Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, with co-workers, the public, and elected and appointed officials
• Skill in the operation and use of standard office software which includes databases and presentation programs, along with standard Microsoft products
• Skill in public relations involving the exchange of information and negotiating and resolving issues with companies and development partners
Position requires mobility within an office environment and requires little physical effort in working with light materials generally weighing ten (10) pounds or less.